This appointment is presently vacant.
If you are an ARRL member interested in filling this appointment, please contact Section Manager W1KT.
Within the Western MA section, the position of Assistant Section Manager has been assigned based roughly on 4 geographic districts within the section. Each ASM is assigned on of these districts as their focus.
Additionally, the position responsibilities of the Affiliated Club Coordinator has also been given to each ASM. In essence, the ASM is the primary contact and resource person for each ARRL member and Amateur Radio club in the section, specializing in motivating, providing assistance and coordinating joint activities of radio clubs. The ASM is appointed by, and reports to, the Section Manager.
Requirements: Novice class license or higher class; Full ARRL membership
- The ASM may serve as a general assistant to the Section Manager or as a specialist. That is, the ASM may assist the Section Manager with general leadership matters as the Section Manager’s understudy, or the ASM may be assigned to handle a specific important function that does not fall within the scope of the duties of the Section Manager’s other assistants.
- At the Section Manager’s discretion, the ASM may be designated as the recommended successor to the incumbent Section Manager, in case the Section Manager resigns or is otherwise unable to finish the term of office.
- The ASM should be familiar with the “Guidelines for the ARRL Section Manager,” which contains the fundamentals of general section management.
- Get to know the Amateur Radio clubs’ members and officers person to person in his section. Learn their needs, strengths and interests and work with them to make clubs effective resources in their communities and more enjoyable for their members.
- Encourage affiliated clubs in the section to become more active and, if the club is already healthy and effective, to apply as a Special Service Club (SSC).
- Supply interested clubs with SSC application forms.
- Assist clubs in completing SSC application forms.
- Help clubs establish workable programs to use as SSCs.
- Approve SSC application forms and pass them to the SM.
- Work with other section leadership officials (Section Emergency Coordinator, Public Information Coordinator, Technical Coordinator, State Government Liaison, etc.) to ensure that clubs are involved in the mainstream of ARRL Field Organization activities.
- Encourage new clubs to become ARRL affiliated.
- Ensure that annual reports (updates officers, liaison mailing addresses etc.) are forthcoming from all affiliated clubs.